Monday, May 18, 2015

STRAWBERRY!!! ( and plain ) Apple Rings





A snack.  A happy apple snack.  ...AND  A  VERY  HAPPY  STRAWBERRY  APPLE  SNACK!!!  

On my list of school snacks and poolside-summer-snack-agenda are these HEALTHY and "healthy" apple slices.  The strawberry dried apple rings get the "air quotes" and lower case "healthy" label as they are sprinkled quite generously with Jell-O.  YUP!!!  Jello-O.  Not a typo.  And they are so AWESOME, you will dust off your dehydrator, go out and get a dehydrator, or wish you had one and hunt down someone you know to borrow one from.  

My dehydrator made its way down from the dusty cupboard above the fridge and found a permeant home these last few months on a pantry shelf.  Its previous home was too tall and too inconvenient for weekly use.  Now it gets hauled off of its new pantry spot when apples at HEB or Kroger dip below $1.00 per pound.   

Here is a happy little apple ring that was scarfed in the HOV line on a rainy afternoon:  

:0)  And the kids love them too!!!  A few weeks ago I ran out of my regular fruit leather snacks for my Sunbeam class at church... Realized my lack of fruit leathers too little and too late to run to Costco, and made these before going to bed the night before.  They are a confirmed hit with 3 year olds!!!  (Even the plain ol' just apple ones... and especially liked by the kiddos that don't love having sticky fingers after a fruit leather...)







So here's what you'll need to get this snack underway:

10-15 minutes   :O)
dehydrator
apple corer
cutting board
slicer 
1 apple per dehydrator tray                          
Strawberry Jello-O (or any Jell-O you may fancy)       

Wash and core your apples.

One at a time, slice the entire apple top to bottom with a "multi-purpose" slicer.  
NOTE:  Slicing them with this amazing kitchen tool keeps all your slices one uniform thickness.  All of the apples finish drying at the same time... BONUS!  No babysitting thick, floppy, half-dried apple slices.  

I have 4 dehydrator trays, (NOTE  TO  BRET  SR: I secretly wish for more...) and am able to dry one apple per tray.  EASY MATH!!!  Which works out nicely since, as all of my kids know, I ONLY do math that is easy math...

The top 2 trays I keep "plain" and the bottom 2 trays I sprinkle a 1/4 package of Jell-O per tray.  Keep your Jello-O apples on the bottom to eliminate any accidental Jell-O sprinkling on your plain apples.

My Easy-Peasy NESCO Dehydrator tells me 135 degrees will dehydrate my fruit.  GREAT!  I know that it typically takes 10-12 hours to complete... So starting a batch in the late afternoon or evening has me turning it off when I wake up.  By the time I'm done cooking up some dreaded oatmeal, the apple slices have had time to cool off before I start packing them up into lunches.

If you're keeping them in the pantry, you can stack them into a clean glass jar and keep them dry AND CUTE at the same time... or just grab a huge gallon zip-lock, shove them all in and call it good!  They won't last long, so you decide how much effort you're willing to invest in their storage.






Apples that become HAPPY APPLE  RINGS:
Granny Smith dry with minimal browning, 
Fugi, Pink Lady, Honey Crisp...  
Try what's on sale and see which apples you like best!



 

I actually bought this slicer years ago at TJMAXX just to do this!!!  :O)  
I'm sure I could use it (and should use it...) for many more things, 
but I'd love it just the same for taking care of this one task with my apples!!!  
(And for being dishwasher safe...)




I've used store brands and have been just as happy.  
I have tried all flavors of Jell-O and strawberry is the BEST for my 
food snobs (critiques) at home... 
you may love orange!  Or lime!  Or wild berry!  
Try them out... Comment with your fav!




You may even get your prep time reduced (or let's be honest... doubled)  :0)
with little hands managing apple slice placement.




Slices will over-lap a little depending on the width of your apples.  
No worries!!!  They will just get a little stuck together... 
lots of fun to rip apart while snacking.




Follow the instructions on your dehydrator for the adequate 
amount of time needed for fruit.




Someday... maybe four more trays...  ??? :0)
(HINTING  DIRECTED  AT  BRET  SR...)










3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. We're excited... especially the little monsters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!!! :0) I love your little monsters... Mostly the one that snuggles me.

      Delete